Have you ever searched for your house using Google Earth? Used satellite imagery to scope out a new neighborhood, plan a trip or avoid traffic? Well, satellite imagery is incredibly useful, especially here in the Peace Corps!
While you have all seen pictures of my village, I've never actually shown you a map of my community. Well, all of that is about to change! Here in Senegal, Peace Corps Volunteers from across Africa are learning about the advantages and utilities of mapping to track public health, agricultural, economic and a various number of other initiatives. Over the next two weeks, I will be working to plot out my village using an open-source tool called OpenStreetMap.
And here's where you come in! As an open source database, you can help me map Adourekoman from your own living room. Since I'm sure your wifi connection is much stronger than my own, I can assure you that this will be a fun, easy and informative experience.
So, get your computer ready, find a comfy seat and prepare yourself for an awesome (m)appy hour!
|I've already located Adourekoman on the map, all you have to do is zoom in and start tracing!|
|Tracing is easy! I've done all the major buildings in Adourekoman.|
Using the drawing tool, you can go in and add all the other houses in the community!
|This is the first map of Adourekoman...ever! |
I'm hoping that we can finish it up and use the map to start tracking projects.
So... How can you help?
1. Go to https://www.openstreetmap.org
2. Create a username and password
3. Search Adourekoman, Benin and select "Village Adourekoman, Glazoué, Collines, Benin"
4. Click Edit and zoom in to see the outlines of community buildings
5. Using the "Area" tool, trace buildings
6. Select Building Features and Choose "House"
7. Click "Save" and add #PeaceCorps and #PCBenin to the "Changeset comment" textbox
8. Click the blue "Save" button and you're done! You've helped map one more building in my community!
9. Continue adding, saving, and participating in the global mapping community!!
If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to reach out by email: firstname.lastname@example.org